May 27, 2007 - In final day of racing at Brainerd Int'l Raceway's NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event, Richard Putz took the win in Top Alcohol Dragster and Hank Coolidge grabbed the Top Alcohol Funny Car win. It was the first win of the season for both drivers.
Putz, a resident of Earlville, Iowa, qualified in the No. 4 spot and made his best pass of the weekend in the first round today, running 5.377 seconds against William Zivkovich of Litchfield, Minn. In the semis he knocked off the top qualifier, Randy Meyer of Spring Hill, Kan. Putz made a 5.452-second pass but Meyer had red-lighted. In the final, Putz took on Jim Whiteley of Grand Junction, Colo. Putz's 5.415-second, 262.69 mph pass was enough to cover Whiteley's 5.493-second, 252.66 mph run.
Sunburst, Mont., resident Coolidge ran a pair of 5.67-second runs in the first two rounds of eliminations, knocking off Bruce Carlson of Prior Lake, Minn., and veteran racer Vern Moats of Des Moines, Iowa, respectively. In the final, he faced off against Paul Anderson of Erie, Colo. Coolidge ran 5.712 seconds at 254.04 mph to eclipse Anderson's 6.500-second, 155.13 mph pass.
Cordis Johnson, Springdale, Ark., drove his Comp Eliminator entry to the win, Super Stock racer Abe Loewen, Regina, Sask., took the win and Paul Schadt, Lindstrom, Minn., joined them in the winner's circle with his Stock Eliminator ride. In Super Comp, Dustin Long, Mitchell, S.D., earned the win while Eugene Belair, Princeton, Minn., took home the Super Gas trophy. Super Street competitor Rodger Sauder, Sidney, Neb., got the win, Jami Stoen, Owatonna, Minn., won in Top Dragster, Dave Slatten, Fort Collins, Colo., won in Top Sportsman and Toby Giese, Kandiyohi, Minn., rode his Sportsman Motorcycle to the win.
West Central division racers head to Denver for the next NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event. Bandimere Speedway will host the series June 15-17.
The following are the final results from the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event at BIR:
TOP ALCOHOL DRAGSTER
1) Randy Meyer, Spring Hill, Kan., 5.462, 233.16 was unopposed;
2) Jim Whiteley, Grand Junction, Colo., 5.585, 204.35 def. 7) Edwin Schmeeckle, Gothenburg, Neb., 5.618, 257.63;
3) Scott Murray, Winnipeg, Manit., 5.696, 257.04 def. 6) Jared Dreher, Clinton, Ind., 5.696, 253.80;
4) Richard Putz, Earlville, Iowa, 5.377, 259.76 def. 5) William Zivkovich, Litchfield, Minn., 5.486, 261.93;
Whiteley, 5.430, 265.43 def. Murray, 10.073, 117.42
Putz, 5.452, 259.06 def. Meyer, foul
Putz, 5.415, 262.69 def. Whiteley, 5.493, 252.66.
TOP ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR
1) Roger Bateman, Calgary, Alb., '02 Camaro, 5.630, 255.58 def. 8) John Patton, Peoria, Ariz., '02 Firebird, 6.294, 175.43
2) Hank Coolidge, Sunburst, Mont., '02 Firebird, 5.675, 252.90 def. 7) Bruce Carlson, Prior Lake, Minn., '05 Corvette, 5.952, 238.81
3) Vern Moats, Des Moines, Iowa, '03 Camaro, 5.654, 256.65 def. 11) Mike Bell, Fulton, Mo., '05 Monte Carlo, 5.857, 245.00
4) Paul Anderson, Erie, Colo., '06 Stratus, 5.785, 247.61 def. 5) Bernie Harrington, Apple Valley, Calif., '04 Camaro, 6.086, 231.60
Coolidge, 5.673, 253.56 def. Moats, 5.751, 255.53
Anderson, 5.717, 248.07 def. Bateman, 5.952, 209.88
Coolidge, 5.712, 254.04 def. Anderson, 6.500, 155.13
Cordis Johnson, Springdale, Ark., '07 Cobalt, H/SMA, 15.422, 74.20 was unopposed.
Abe Loewen, Regina, Sask., '98 Grand Am, SS/DM, 9.397, 134.18 def. Dean Mesenbring, Rochester, Minn., '87 Camaro, GT/IA, 10.713, 123.14.
Paul Schadt, Lindstrom, Minn., '72 Gran Sport, G/SA, 11.317, 114.94 def. Ray Remington, Austin, Minn., '67 Coronet, U/SA, 14.686, 88.93
Dustin Long, Mitchell, S.D., dragster, 8.907, 178.10 def. Kyle Lawrence, Manhattan, Kan., dragster, 8.900, 166.05
Eugene Belair, Princeton, Minn., '90 Cavalier, 9.904, 141.39 def. Jeff Cheney, Cambridge, Minn., '00 Camaro, 9.916, 162.37
Rodger Sauder, Sidney, Neb., '72 Barracuda, 10.898, 131.09 def. Derek Martin, St. Louis Park, Minn., '84 Camaro, 10.877, 137.09
Jami Stoen, Owatonna, Minn., dragster, 7.360, 176.81 def. Rick Riegger, Brooklyn Park, Minn., dragster, 7.538, 150.53
Dave Slatten, Fort Collins, Colo., '04 Grand Am, 7.411, 183.10 def. Jim White, Haysville, Kan., '04 Cavalier, 7.375, 183.32
Toby Giese, Kandiyohi, Minn., '00 Kawasaki, 8.955, 145.30 def. Tom Gilligan, Fremont, Neb., '00 Kawasaki, 8.967, 146.48