Michael Self didn’t take the lead until late in Saturday’s NAPA Know-How 125, but once he did, he checked out from the field en route to his second straight NASCAR K&N Pro Series West win at Brainerd International Raceway.
Self nursed home his car with a flat left rear tire and still was able to outdistance runner-up Derek Thorn by .952 seconds and more than 20 seconds ahead of third-place Greg Pursley.
The NAPA Know-How 125 was the showcased event Memorial Day weekend during BIR’s 5th Annual Street Car Showdown. The event included the kick-off to the three-race Muscle Car Series on the drag strip and the SCCA Harvey West Classic on the road course.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series debuted at BIR last year, when Self overtook the leader with two laps to go and held on for the checkered flag. He did it again Saturday, only in less dramatic fashion. The Park City, Utah, driver was able to avoid the issues that plagued his top challengers long enough to pick up his fourth career win. All of his victories have come in the last 13 races, beginning in last year’s inaugural visit to the 2.5-mile road course in Brainerd.
Self led the last 16 laps after passing Cameron Hayley on a restart. Hayley, who led twice for 10 laps, subsequently pitted for a flat tire. Andrew Ranger won the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day but also spun because of a tire issue in the final laps as he was closing in on Self. And points leader Thorn led a race-high 24 laps but was unable to muster a challenge to Self in the end. Rookie Dylan Lupton finished fourth and Hayley fifth.
Thorn maintained his points lead by eight over Hayley and nine over Pursley. Self is fourth, 15 behind Thorn and one ahead of Sergio Pena. Dale Quarterley was sixth Saturday, followed by Taylor Cuzick, Dylan Hutchison, Pena and Ranger.
NAPA Know How 125 Results
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) Michael Self, Park City, UT, Chevrolet, 50 laps, 78.754 mph.
2. (2) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, CA, Ford, 50.
3. (6) Greg Pursley, Newhall, CA, Ford, 50.
4. (7) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif, Ford, 50.
5. (5) Cameron Hayley, Calgary, Alberta, Ford, 50.
6. (11) Dale Quarterley, Westfield, Mass., Ford, 50.
7. (15) Taylor Cuzick, Tolleson, Ariz., Ford, 50.
8. (8) Dylan Hutchison, Fair Oaks, CA, Chevrolet, 50.
9. (3) Sergio Pena, Winchester, VA, Toyota, 49.
10. (1) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Quebec, Dodge, 49.
11. (10) Dallas Montes, Bakersfield, Calif., Chevrolet, 49.
12. (16) Carl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 49.
13. (9) Giles Thornton, Whitefish, Mont., Toyota, 49.
14. (17) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Toyota, 46.
15. (19) Andrew Tuttle, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 41.
16. (14) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Springs, Colo., Chevrolet, 35, transmission.
17. (12) Daryl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 28, engine.
18. (13) Brett Thompson, Jerome, Idaho, Chevrolet, 17, engine.
19. (18) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 12, engine.
Time of Race: 1 hour 35 minutes 14 seconds
Margin of Victory: .952 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: A.Ranger (96.330 mph, 93.429 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 8 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Ranger 0; D. Thorn 1-16; C. Hayley 17-20; D. Thorn 21-28; C. Hayley 29-34; M. Self 35-50.
Standings: 1. D. Thorn, 132; 2. C. Hayley, 124; 3. G. Pursley, 123; 4. M. Self, 117; 5. S. Pena, 116; 6. D. Lupton, 105; 7. B. Thompson, 98; 8. C. Harr, 96; 9. T. Cuzick, 95; 10. D. Montes, 91.